[ale] error booting XP after dual boot install of Ubuntu 7.10

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Apr 11 01:27:59 EDT 2008

aaron wrote:

> To that end, I noticed that the commercial Parallels product
> that's become popular for setting up both Linux and M$ VM's
> on Intel Mac's is now promoting a dedicated Linux version
> -- a 30 day trial install is available from the Ubuntu Software
> repositories, but purchase cost is about $70.  There is also
> a free virtualization package available in the Ubuntu repository,
> and I'd be curious if anyone here has explored that with Gutsy.

I've played with kvm/libvirt/virtmanager on Hardy. It took me longer
than it should have to get the initial setup right; make sure you're in
the libvirtd group and connect to the "system" hypervisor if you want to
change the network settings (ubuntu has done most of the work of setting
up bridging and even running dnsmasq for you). Once that was cleared up,
things worked well. KVM still has a problem with gfxboot on intel chips,
but you can fall back to using vanilla qemu in that situation or even
switch the backend to Xen.

I'm glad to see virt-manager in Fedora and Ubuntu; hopefully it will
reduce the average user's need for non-free solutions like Parallels or
VMWare. Since kvm can read VMware disk images, the cost of switching
isn't high.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KvmVirtManagerEtc

-Brian