[ale] License agreement for Linux based commercial systems..

Keith Hopkins ale at hopnet.net
Wed Apr 2 20:22:48 EDT 2008

On 04/03/2008 12:45 AM, Mike Harrison wrote:
[snip]
> Anyone out there got a good license example for this world for the legal
> guys to see an example of to customize for us?
>
> I was hoping to use the MySQL Commercial License as an example, but after
> reading it, don't think it works well (for anything?).

Hi Mike,

   There are a couple of things you need to consider, starting with "what is the license of the code you are modifying?"  If the base code is GPL, then your modified code will be GPL too (and freely distributable), although you keep the copyright to your modifications.  Only with code that you have a specific license for that allows relicensing, or for completely original code, do you get to decide what license to use.

   Have you looked at Trolltech's dual license system?  MySQL is probably the next best known commercial license.

--Keith