[ale] Gnome nautilus/mime-type associations

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Sat Sep 29 20:59:02 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 20:41 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 19:52 -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:
> > >
> > try this thread from Ubuntu:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/6795
> >
> > when I looked at the file mentioned it looked like something that may
> > work for you
>
> Thanks Scott.  That just seems to help with the file association part
> (i.e what happens when I double click a file) but not with the part
> about the default icon used for the file when viewed within nautilus.

Well, I got it solved by doing the following:

(as root) vi /usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml and change the
file ext settings for "audio/x-musepack" to be .mp3 and .mp4 (as opposed
to the default of .mp+ which is stupid for them to do).  I then had to
run "update-mime-database /usr/share/mime" and finally as my userid I
ran "killall nautilus" and when nautilus reloaded all my .mpp files
(which by the way I do detest) had the correct icon which is supplied by
Crossover Office.

I guess the problem is that system mime definitions
(i.e. /usr/share/mime/*) take precedence over user settings (i.e.
~/.local/share/mime/*).

Scott, thanks for getting me pointed into the right direction.

-Jim P.