[ale] Gnome nautilus/mime-type associations

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Sat Sep 29 19:31:47 EDT 2007

Hi all,

How do I tell nautilus to use a different file-type association (and
therefore a different visual icon) for files with a certain
extension?

I know I can view the properties of a single file and use the "Open
With" tab to change the nautilus properties so that every other file
with that extension is opened with a specific application.  However,
that doesn't change the icon nor file-type that nautilus displays when
viewing a listing of files, nor does it change the icon associated with
the file when the file is placed on the Desktop.

Specifically, in the case of .mpp files, nautilus can be told to "open
with" M$ Project (via Crossover Office) but nautilus still identifies
the files (in a file listing) as of type "Musepack Audio" and it uses a
musical note image as the icon.  What I want to do is to tell my system
to always use a specific visual icon when displaying .mpp files.

Thx,

-Jim P.