[ale] wireless card

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Sep 27 13:10:49 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 12:55 -0400, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> On Thursday 27 September 2007 10:57, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> | Acer 5100 Turion X2 w/ 1GB RAM (upgradeable to 4GB RAM) with ATI Radeon
> | 1100 video, madwifi B/G wireless, Dual layer DVD burner 100GB hard drive
> | $500 at Walmart (evil store).
> |
> | Runs every Linux I've thrown at it except for the built-in web cam which
> | no one has hacked a driver for yet (that works).
>
> But does the wireless card work with Linux?
> That's the question!

Works just fine! I did install the madwifi stuff to make it work (which
has been merged into the livna repo for fedora - Debian has a similar
setup as well) as Fedora (and all redhat)does not ship with anything
patented, proprietary or otherwise non-free (as in speech). As the
madwifi stuff requires some non-free code (bone-headed manufacturer at
least lets madwifi devel with the binary only bits - this is part of the
code that if tweaked can allow an overlap with a military band radio) in
the kernel driver module, it will never be a built-in thing for Fedora.

> And where do you get the extra RAM? NewEgg, or Fry's?

Neither: go to Crucial or Kingston web sites. Crucial has the full 4GB
kit for $325.