[ale] wireless card

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Sep 26 23:27:04 EDT 2007

James Sumners wrote:
> I shy away from the ndiswrapper stuff. In my limited trials, it is
> unstable and resource intensive. I much prefer a wireless card that
> has a native driver; even if that driver requires a closed firmware to
> be loaded. E.G. the SMC 2802W. It _is_ difficult to find a card that
> will work natively. But it is well worth the effort in my opinion.

Unfortunately, sometimes cards that do have native drivers perform
better with ndiswrapper. My one experience with this was a
broadcom-based card that crawled at 30KBps with the native linux driver
+ the firmware cut from a windows driver, then shot up to 300KBps with
ndiswrapper + the windows driver.

If you need USB take a look at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported#head-603c9481d6c6288b6b674cc50132d21f6d539c53

Cards based on the RaLink chipsets (rt* in the table) are well supported.

-Brian