[ale] wireless card

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Sep 26 13:52:06 EDT 2007

Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> Gurus all:
>
> I am being forced to move my computers to a place where the ethernet
> cable won't reach without a _lot_ of trouble. So I am going to need
> a wireless card (mid-towers, no laptops) that will work _easily_
> with Linux -- FC if it makes a difference.
> (Combo wired/wireless router already in use.)
>
> Advice would be much appreciated.

An alternative is to get a second wireless/wired router, set it up by
the computers, and link it to the first through WDS. Anything plugged in
to the wired ports on that router then has access to the internet.

This has several advantages: You only need to buy one piece of new
hardware instead of a card for each computer. Traffic between the
computers is fast because it uses the wired connection. You've extended
the range of your wireless network.

This is easy to do if your wireless hardware supports OpenWRT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System
http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

-Brian