[ale] random numbers on different operating systems [was: Re: Best kind of ssh key]

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Sep 25 14:50:01 EDT 2007

On Tue 2007-09-25 13:57:53 -0400, Jeff Lightner wrote:

> I'll have to say that I think it isn't really a good point.  While
> PuTTY does run on Windoze it is not built by M$ and any issues it
> would have of the nature discussed would be the fault of the folks
> that wrote it.

Depending on the selected source of randomness, this might or might
not be true.  Most modern operating systems provide a standard way to
get access to high-entropy data (the Linux kernel provides /dev/random
for hardware-level random numbers, and /dev/urandom for non-blocking
pseudo-random numbers, for example).  I'm sure that among those OSes
which provide such an entropy source as a system service, the quality
of implementation varies.

I have no idea how putty gets its randomness, but if windows offers a
system-level random number bucket, it would be reasonable for PuTTY to
generate its random numbers that way.  If there was later discovered
to be a flaw in the Windows RNG (whatever that is), i'd be hard
pressed to say it was a fault of the PuTTY implementors, just as i'd
be hard pressed to fault an openSSH implementation for a failure of
/dev/{u,}random on a Linux system.

Regards,

        --dkg