[ale] Re: Script to send email with attachments

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Sep 25 14:26:07 EDT 2007

Thompson Freeman wrote:
> Well, in a way we can claim that things went well as I found that I have
> a significant bug(s) in my setup here at home. I wound up sending things
> out by hand because neither the mutt nor mailx approaches worked out.
> Mutt declines to send _any_ mail, period, whether by script or normal
> usage. I've got some research and configuration work to do there. The
> installed copy of mailx on my system is apparently either too old, or
> has been configured to not work with mime attachments. Again, repairable
> but not necessarily quickly.

I think both mailx and mutt default to using your local system as their
smtp server. You could figure out how to change this or set up an smtp
server like exim to relay mail to your ISP's smtp server (ie smarthost).
This is really easy to do on a Debian-based system with
'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config'.

-Brian