[ale] oops.. mounted my ext3 partition as ext2

Brian Schenken brian.schenken at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 19:07:58 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

I just added an extra hard drive to one of our servers, created an ext3
partition, mounted it, copied over a huge amount of important data, and then
noticed I mounted my ext3 partition as ext2.  (I blame the fat fingers)

As far as I know, all this really does is disable journaling -  as ext3 is
backwards compatible.  So... I should be able to remount the partition as
ext3 and finish my beer.  But... some voice in my head (that was apparently
off duty when I left a mistake in my fstab) is telling me I should make sure
I don't take a risk with this data.

So am I right?  Is swapping back and forth between mounting (and writing to)
an ext3 partition as ext3 or ext2 - harmless?

Thanks muchly,
Brian