[ale] Linux Frontend to MS Access

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sun Sep 16 20:13:37 EDT 2007

Warren Myers wrote:
> Anything that supports ODBC should be able to work

The problem with this as I understand it (and I'm not certain I
understand it very well, that's why I'm asking here) is that there is no
Linux ODBC driver for Microsoft Access (ie Jet) that has write support.
MDB Tools [1] has an ODBC driver for Jet, but according to their website
write support isn't implemented yet. Judging from their mailing list,
MDB Tools development has stopped. Unixodbc's website lists the
commercial ODBC-ODBC Bridge from Easysoft [3], "a client/server product
that allows an ODBC application to access an ODBC driver on a remote
machine", as the only option.

 > depending on what
 > he needs, you can do it with PHP.

Writing a web application that runs on Windows and thus can use
Microsoft's DAO or ODBC drivers sounds like a possibility. The other
possibility is to migrate the data to another database that both MS
Access and a Linux database program can read and write to, such as
MySQL. [4]

I'm not sure which (if either) of these is feasible or acceptable, but
I'll find out. Until then, I welcome any further suggestions or comments.

-Brian

[1] http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.unixodbc.org/drivers.html
[3] http://www.easysoft.com/products/oob/main.phtml