[ale] Synaptic problems

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Sat Sep 15 21:40:36 EDT 2007

On Sep 15, 2007, at 8:41 PM, Brian Pitts wrote:

> Mark Wright wrote:
>> I thought I screwed up a Ubuntu 5.04 installation by not knowing
>> enough about how to upgrade the repositories in synaptic.  But now
>> I am having a similar problem on another 6.06 installation.
>> I haven't changed anything on this 6.06 box.  I am getting
>> "connection refused"  Messages when I try to install updates.
>> Currently patches for tar, rsync, and Mozilla.  The full text of
>> the message is, "could not connect to archive.ubuntu.com:80
>> (91.189.89.8) - connect (111 connection refused)"
>
> Any chance you have a proxy server set in synaptic?

Well, not in synaptic but I am using Dansguardian on my lAN and have
all the boxes using it as a proxy for the internet.  I can't say for
sure if synaptic has worked since I installed DG.  But I can ping the
repositories and download the packages with my browser.  Why can
Synaptic?

> I'm not sure what you mean by upgrade the repositories in Synaptic.
> Since at least 6.06, when a new distribution is released the
> upgrade manager can switch your repositories for you. Pre 6.06 you
> could do the following.
>
> cd /etc/apt
> sudo mv sources.list sources.list.bak
> sudo sh -c "sed s:hoary:breezy:g sources.list.bak > sources.list"
> sudo aptitude update
> sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
>
> You would replace hoary and breezy with the version you are
> currently running and the next version.
>
> Ubuntu 5.04 reached end of live in October 2006. To get to a
> supported release, you'd have to upgrade to 5.10 then upgrade that
> to 6.06. A clean install is probably your easiest option.

Yeah the 5.04 box will have to be a clean install.  I only mentioned
it because I somehow managed to screw that one up too.  I when I
couldn't get it to work I decided to upgrade.  After trying the
instructions on Ubuntu's site I have a situation where I can't
install anything in any fashion, cant even install from source.