[ale] *Serious* motherboards?

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:12:47 EDT 2007

Or hey, maybes you should look at some of the Amazon services.  I just got
out of a lunch talk showing
Amazon's "EC2", "S3" and "SQS" services (
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=3435361 ) . They're virtual
machines, virtual storage, and a message queueing service to talk between
the two.  You can spin up a linux virtual machine image in about a minute
with these.  The sample app involved converting about a dozen AVI files to a
format you could burn to a DVD disk which would play on a consumer DVD
player. Using a python script and interface library, a task that would've
pegged a winders machine for a couple of hours took about 10 minutes. Pretty
impressive.

I haven't bought anything from Amazon due to an FSF boycott, but that has
apparently ended ( http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html ).

-- CHS