[ale] *Serious* motherboards?

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu Sep 13 11:57:00 EDT 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007 11:40, JK wrote:
> Not to mention, I do just enjoy building my own
> boxen.  Though I admit the thought of accidentally
> bending a pin on a $500 CPU makes my stomach hurt...

These new big box motherboards and CPU's are
Socket F --   There are NO PINS to bend!!

The socket side is a field of gold plated spring wire loops
that a peak out of thier holes slightly above the mount plane.
Bottom of the CPU is a field of gold dots that are slightly
dimpled. A side view would look like this:
_ _ _ _    = CPU pads
^ ^ ^ ^     = Socket loops

A spring clip arrangement clamps the CPU into the Socket.
I was really impressed with the intelligence of the design
when I saw it.

peace
aaron