[ale] *Serious* motherboards?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Sep 13 11:37:37 EDT 2007

Jim Popovitch wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 10:58 -0400, aaron wrote:
>
>>>Hmmm... tempting, but since I am not (any longer) an
>>>Atlantean, it would be more like "Very Remote Net Solutions"
>>>in my case :-)
>>>

>>Hey, dude, there's this great new thing called UPS!  ;-)
>

> What good is a uninterruptable power supply going to do him if he
> doesn't have a motherboard?
>

> :-) :-)

:-)

Not to mention, I do just enjoy building my own
boxen.  Though I admit the thought of accidentally
bending a pin on a $500 CPU makes my stomach hurt...

The economics of this are actually not looking
all that great.  I can probably build eight
cheap-ass boxes in 2Ghz/2GB/100GB configurations
for less than the price of a single box that
would let me virtualize everything.  RAM especially
is way expensive for server-class boxes, it seems.
OTOH my power bills might then make my stomach hurt.
And the whole point of this exercise is to
put all my computational needs in a convenient
package.

Of course, there's always Microwulf:
http://www.calvin.edu/~adams/research/microwulf/
Which might be more appropriate for me, and just
look at that price tag: <$2000.

-- JK

--
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be
dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens