[ale] I386 packages wont run

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Sep 13 08:56:05 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 07:44 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> so now my Debian amd64 system is beginning to get me.. I tried to install AIM
> for my wife, and I download the .deb. When I run it I get  wrong package
> type, I386 will not run on this computer, or something to that effect.
> This has happened before, and I don't know what to do?

Not a debian guru but it sounds like the apt-get config files are wrong.
You need to make sure you are _only_ pulling from the x86_64 repository.
You can't run 32 binaries with 64 bit libs and vice versa. I don't have
any 64 bit Debian here but my fuzzy memory suggests they DON'T do the
dual lib support that RedHat and Suse do.

So doublecheck the config files and make sure you are pulling from the
64-bit stuff.

If it gets much worse, pull your data for a backup and install a 32 bit
version instead. The only reason for using 64 bit is if you have 4GB RAM
and want to use all of it (unless it's an HP DL385 G1 system which will
NEVER see/use all 8/16GB RAM 'cause the BIOS is horked!)