[ale] oh....help

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Wed Sep 12 15:40:04 EDT 2007

Hi Paul, Brian, et al,

On 9/12/2007 at 11:43 AM Brian Pitts wrote:

>Paul Cartwright wrote:
>> ouch. my openSUSE 10.2 install got...hosed a bit, so I tried installing
>> again. mt openSUSE 10.2 disk freezes when it boots, it doesn't allow me
>> to do anything with the keyboard. my new Linuz magazine copy of SLED 10
>> does the same thing. the Debian 4.0 Etch CD DID work however, so I
>> installed Debian. My Dell desktop is an Intel Duo Core processor, yet it
>> installed the AMD processor:
>> # dpkg --list|grep kernel
>> ii  libdrm2                           2.0.2-0.1
>> Userspace interface to kernel DRM services -
>> ii  linux-image-2.6-amd64             2.6.18+6etch2
>> Linux kernel 2.6 image on AMD64

Is it possible you've got the wrong distro by accident, grabbing the AMD 64 instead of the 32-bit version?

>64-bit version of Debian instead of the 32-bit version? AFAIK there is
>no 64-bit version of Opera for Linux. Getting it and other proprietary
>software to work (flash comes to mind) will be a pain.

I don't know nothin' about Debian (or any Linux flavor for that matter) but I did recently finally find a distro that worked on my HP dv8000 laptop with an AMD 64 in it.  The distro is Sabayon Linux 3.4, which is Gentoo-based.  Flash works just fine on it, as does Opera.

Cheers,
Robert~

   * Microsoft is NOT a standard. *

SIXIT Consulting