[ale] [OT] Google Apps for Domain + Overzealous Spam filtering?

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 14:10:40 EDT 2007

On 9/12/07, John Wells <jb at sourceillustrated.com> wrote:

> I don't have an answer, but I do have a question. We reviewed Google Apps
> for our company's email, but couldn't get past the privacy policy...in
> particular the fact that while your email will (hopefully) be removed upon
> your own delete within 60 days...there is no guarantee it will *ever* be
> removed from the off-line backups.
>
> This, coupled with the fact that Google offers no extended privacy policy
> for paying customers (we would've been paying a pretty big price tag) made
> it a non-starter for us.
>
> Where do you (and other ale'r) stand on this issue?

Ya, that does sound like a privacy issue. Hopefully they'll get a clue about
that like they have recently with privacy issues involving their search data
retention (it will now be made anonymous after 18-24 months). I was reading
in eWeek (yes, after skipping over the BS that comprises atleast half of the
magazine, but hey, it's free), that they have also appointed in each of
their projects one person who will focus only on privacy concerns. They did
this after hiring on someone from a privacy group that was giving them a
hard time. Atleast a few steps in the right direction.

I do keep some personal information in my gmail account, but I am not very
concerned (ono, they have my ale password!!). Google allows a human to read
my stuff only in a few limited cases outlined in their privacy policy [1]
and they have stated they don't share your information with 3rd parties.
Now, I'm not a company with big money at stake, but I'm wondering what you
think is the worst that can happen? Wouldn't you be able to hold Google
liable for a breach of security? If the sensitive information must be
emailed, why is it not encrypted? Does your company now not accept mail from
gmail or domains with similar privacy issues? How come I only hear about
privacy issues when it comes to Google, is their email system and policies
really that different from others? Please be gentle, I'm truly ignorant, and
none of the above was meant as a flame (no matter how much people love
taking it that way :).

-Steve Brown

[1]http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en/about_privacy.html
http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en/privacy.html