[ale] oh....help

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Sep 12 11:43:58 EDT 2007

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> ouch. my openSUSE 10.2 install got...hosed a bit, so I tried installing
> again. mt openSUSE 10.2 disk freezes when it boots, it doesn't allow me
> to do anything with the keyboard. my new Linuz magazine copy of SLED 10
> does the same thing. the Debian 4.0 Etch CD DID work however, so I
> installed Debian. My Dell desktop is an Intel Duo Core processor, yet it
> installed the AMD processor:
> # dpkg --list|grep kernel
> ii  libdrm2                           2.0.2-0.1
> Userspace interface to kernel DRM services -
> ii  linux-image-2.6-amd64             2.6.18+6etch2
> Linux kernel 2.6 image on AMD64
>

> this makes life for me misreable.. now it won't let me install Opera for
> one, and I get Iceweasel for a browser...
> Is there anything I can do about the AMD kernel?? not sure what to do at
> this point...

AMD created the 64-bit technology used in desktop processors, then Intel
copied it. Debian, like many linux distributions, uses the term AMD64 to
refer to the architecture regardless of the manufacturer.

I think you have a larger problem than whether or not your kernel is
tweaked for your exact processor. Did you intentionally install the
64-bit version of Debian instead of the 32-bit version? AFAIK there is
no 64-bit version of Opera for Linux. Getting it and other proprietary
software to work (flash comes to mind) will be a pain.

What's wrong with Iceweasel, anyway? The icon is cute. ;-)

-Brian