[ale] Trying to get a Marvell NIC to work

Greg Canter gcanter at speedfactory.net
Sat Sep 8 17:24:29 EDT 2007

I have installed 64Studio (a Debian based multimedia distro) on a dual
Opteron with an onboard Marvell 88E9001 gigabit NIC and it will not work.
There are no lights on my switch.  All attempts to ping to and from the
machine are negative.  I have replaced the CAT V cable.  It is a dual boot
with Windows - where the NIC works flawlessly, so I know the NIC is
operational, but just not with 64Studio.

I have tried to run the following without any success :
    net-setup eth0
    sk98lin
    modprobe skge
    ifconfig eth0 up
    modprobe sk98lin

Running "lspci" gives me the following line:
   03:03.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001
Gigabit Ethernet Controller(rev 13)

Running lsmod gives me the following :
    sk98lin

So it looks like the module is being loaded but nothing else is happening.

Running uname -a gives me :
    Linux SATURN 2.6.17-1-multimedia-amd64-k8 #1 PREEMPT Wed Jul 19 11:28:38
UTC 2006 x86_6 GNU/Linux

All of my research seems to point to this driver working ok with that
kernel.  I have installed Suse on this pc before without any NIC problems.

Any clues, hints, advice warmly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg