[ale] Simple, plain, text printing.

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Sep 3 16:13:10 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 15:54 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a printer in CUPS that is a
> no-frills, text-only printer?  I have a dot-matrix that I rather like
> using for printing throwaway things out, code snippets and the like, and
> other misc. temporary text type things.  Right now, I just redirect the
> output of whatever I need to it directly through to the device node.
> However, I'd rather like to be able to just do something like piping it
> directly through something like 'lpr -p Citizen500' and have the system
> not go through the trouble of converting to PS and then to the printer's
> native format.
>
> I did find one way to do this, but it a global setting that affects all
> printers, not just the one I'm interested in; I can't send plain text to
> my inkjet printer (nor would I really want to) and the laser printer
> doesn't do so pretty by it either.
>
> If my only solution is to redirect to the device node, then I can get by
> with changing /etc/rc.local to just make the device node accessible to
> me every time the system boots.

I _think_ you can tell cups that a device is a plain, dumb ascii text
printer. But a dig through my systems shows that is no longer the case.
Maybe it works selecting a "raw" printer. I have a panasonic dot-matrix
I use on occasion and the printing process begins almost instantly when
I hit print. It seems like the driver does not convert to postscript
then to dots (but I have not really tested this much at all).