[ale] DVD ripping

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Wed Oct 31 21:40:21 EDT 2007

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 15:17 -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:
>

>> Okay just an update:
>>
>> Did 4 DVDs the first one I was able to use the dd command as my normal
>> user. The second DVD would crap out in the dd command almost right away
>> with an I/O error and showing ###blocks+1 in, ###blocks+1 out,
>> displaying a low number like 360. I then su - to root and was able to do
>> the 2nd one. The 3rd and 4th would fail both as my user or as root with
>> the same I/O error. I was able to get the image using k3b, I don't
>> understand why as it should be just executing the dd command essentially
>> the same way as you had suggested. I am now able to skip step 2 of
>> mounting the image file as long as I use VLC. With VLC I just go through
>> the quick open file option and select the image that I want to play.
>> With mplayer, gxine, or totem, I do have to mount the image that I want,
>> but I found that it's "mount -o loop /path/of/image.iso /media", at
>> least on Fedora 7. Now to play around with finding a way that I can just
>> pull up a playlist of image files instead of clicking through a tree
>> list to get to the file I want.
>>

> Check the temp of the disk when it is removed. Some low quality DVD
> drives are quite lousy at heat removal and the lasers have sidebands all
> in the IR region. This excessive thermal buildup causes numerous
> problems from optical distortion to pickup errors to electronics
> failures. All of these errors vanish when the drive is allowed to cool
> down between runs. Back to back dd sessions are thermally intensive even
> on good drives. I have pulled disks out and they have been nearly
> uncomfortable to touch.

Actually the 3rd and 4th DVDs I didn't do until this morning after 1st
booting and the box was off for several hours. When I remove the media
it does not feel hot, and I am able to do several back2back copies of
DVDs with k3b without any problems. In fact that's how I copied the 3rd
and 4th DVDs and then 3 double sided disks of the 1st season of House.
Each disk/side was done one right after the other with no stopping. Now
playback is a different story as there seems to some dropping and
freezing happening. I'm not sure if it's the harddrive or the CPU. The
harddrive is a 500GB SATAII on an Adaptec dual port SATAI HA and the CPU
is an AMD Athlon 1800+ with 1GB RAM.
Any ideas or maybe I should encode the images? (or is it transcode?)