[ale] How could I have avoided this?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Oct 29 00:37:45 EDT 2007

George Allen wrote:
> I usually do something like:
>
> mv .mozilla .mozilla~
>
> but... since I've been playing with 'git' lately, one could do:
>
> cd .mozilla
> git init
> git add *
> git commit -a -m "about to hack this dir to pieces... standby for disaster"
> git branch test
> git checkout test
> <edit edit edit>
> <frustration>
> rm -rf *
> git branch master
> <yay, all the old files are back>
> git branch test
> <all gone - back to frustration>
>
> etc....
> Also been learning mercurial lately - too bad neither really tracks file
> permissions - so can't do something like check in your /etc/ dir.... without
> potential security problems on checkout
>
> -George

Another good idea is to use automate making snapshots for your home
directory, much like the new Mac OS does with Time Machine[1]. Two of
the programs commonly mentioned on the list for this are rsnapshot and
dirvish.

If you do this, when Firefox fails you simply delete it's current
directory and restore the most recent snapshot. Because the "rsync+hard
link" backup approach has so little overhead this could be very recent.

-Brian

[1]
http://chucker.mystfans.com/2006/08/23/time-machine-compared-to%E2%80%A6-rsnapshot.entry