[ale] How could I have avoided this?

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 21:11:44 EDT 2007

I usually do something like:

mv .mozilla .mozilla~

but... since I've been playing with 'git' lately, one could do:

cd .mozilla
git init
git add *
git commit -a -m "about to hack this dir to pieces... standby for disaster"
git branch test
git checkout test
<edit edit edit>
<frustration>
rm -rf *
git branch master
<yay, all the old files are back>
git branch test
<all gone - back to frustration>

etc....
Also been learning mercurial lately - too bad neither really tracks file
permissions - so can't do something like check in your /etc/ dir.... without
potential security problems on checkout

-George