[ale] Lowering account privileges in a script

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Oct 25 12:33:55 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 10:51 -0500, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> I would like to run a web server as 'nobody:nobody' rather than a more
> privileged user (especially since I plan to crash-test it!). How can I
> launch it that way?

By default, once apache starts it spawns children that are not
privileged. However, since it listes to a port below 1024, there MUST be
a privileged user to start the listener. You can run apache as a general
user as long as you are using a higher port like 8080. You can specify
the config file to use on the command line as
<path to binary>/httpd -f <path to config>/httpd.conf

This will require an httpd.conf set to use a port higher than 1024.