[ale] 1U server question

Derek Carter goozbach at neverblock.com
Wed Oct 24 15:56:50 EDT 2007

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> I think you missed the point.
>
> The NIC/IP discussed below is for a "management card" which is separate
> from the standard kind of NIC you use for OSes.  Typically such

What you are looking for is called "out of band managment"[1]

The dell boxes call them DRAC, (Dell Remote Access Card) and is
***MORE*** than worth the extra couple hundred dollars it adds to the
cost of your machine.

On an HP machine it is called "iLO" (Integrated Lights Out).

I have never had any experience with the HP boxes but the idea is the
same. You have access to the "console" regardless of how the system's
connectivity is setup. My DRAC cards have saved my life multiple times
when I mis-configured a firewall or the like.

--
Derek AKA Goozbach

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-band_management