[ale] Re: USB Key FOB not unmountable by user

Chuck Huber chuck at cehuber.org
Fri Oct 19 13:46:32 EDT 2007

ale-request at ale.org wrote:
> From: "James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>
> On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 10:31 -0400, James Sumners wrote:
>> Also, uid 1000 is usually root. Thus, root must unmount it.
>
> UID 0 is root. Most human users UID start above 500 or so but some
> systems start at 1000. check /etc/passwd for the username for UID 1000.

UID 1000 is my non-root user.

> What distro is this?

Suse 10.2

>> On 10/19/07, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> "Oct 19 08:31:44 lightning hald: mounted /dev/sdb1 on behalf of uid 1000"
>>>
>>> Looks to me like hald is doing your mounting.
>>>
>>> http://linux.die.net/man/1/gnome-mount

KDE's installed. gnome-mount daemon is not running.  Neither is the
autofs daemon.

> From: "James Sumners" <james.sumners at gmail.com>
> I assume the distribution is Ubuntu. That seems to be what all the
> cool kids are running these days.

Well... I guess I'm neither cool, nor a kid.  With 3 grandchildren I
suppose that's an accurate assessment.  A while back we discussed
whether or not it's worth converting from Suse to Ubunto.  I believe the
resolution was that there was no compelling reason to go through the
transition.

> That leads my searches to
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-539351.html , with the
> resolution of the following:
>
> 1) Right click the icon representing the mount and choose "unmount."
> 2) If you really want to unmount it from a terminal, use `eject /media/device`

Well, duh... Why didn't I think of that.
In KDE, it's right-click and "Safely Remove".  Works fine.
eject complained with:
    chuck at lightning:~> eject /media/disk/
    umount: /dev/sdb1 is not in the fstab (and you are not root)
    eject: unmount of `/dev/sdb1' failed

This leads me to believe that something in KDE detects the new hardware
and requests that it be mounted.  Likewise, "Safely Remove" runs
something that has root access to accomplish the umount.  This also
leads me to believe that if I'm at run level 1, 2, or 3, it will not
auto mount.  Hmmm... I'll have to try that out.

I did find a /media/.hal-mtab.  So I think you're right in that hald is
doing the mounting.  I looked through /etc/hal/... and didn't find
anything that related to /media/disk.

I usually use this just to execute ssh-add.  Once that's done I unmount
it and pull it out.  Thus, I'm usually at a shell prompt when all this
occurs rather than in Konqueror.

Thanks,
    - Chuck