[ale] ALE CENTRAL MTG for THURSDAY, OCT. 11, 2007

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Tue Oct 9 11:31:54 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 07:07 -0400, David Tomaschik wrote:
> Ubuntu LTS editions (Such as 6.06, and 8.04 will be one) are supported
> for 3 years on the desktop and 5 years on servers.

I agree w/ Jim Lynch... Ubuntu makes a difficult Server version, LTS or
not.   Why on god's green earth do server distros need to load (by
default) things like USB, dbus, bluetooth, NetworkManager, wifi drivers,
etc....

The differences between a Desktop and a Server are staggering...
unfortunately most distributions try to address this gap with a single
kernel branch.

(Btw, I do think LTS makes for a great corp Desktop strategy)

-Jim P.