[ale] kppp- Zoom didn't work

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Oct 5 23:17:40 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 14:59 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> well my Uncle got a Zoom modem 3095 model, and it even came with a linux
> folder on the CD. It didn't work, the directions were trash. Very frustrating
> to work over the phone with someone who has no idea what a command line is,
> and the directions tell you to copy the appropriate folder
> ( .deb, .rpm, .tar) to your computer, and then go to that driver folder.
> after an hour we gave up and he will reinstall XP. He called Zoom technical
> support, got some Indian that he couldn't understand who didn't know anything
> about linux drivers.
> the install doc says :
> type sudo
> type dpkg -i dgcmodem_i386.deb
>
> typing sudo by itself doesn't do anything.
> we tried sudo dpkg and just dpkg and he kept getting some strange errors about
> bash: ls deb not found or something like that. I give up.

Not having access to the command line output is a drag.

Odds are this thing is just a USB to serial device (ttyACM0) like most
other USB modems.

I grabbed the manual from the link and their understanding of command
line is lacking.

The command should be:

sudo dpkg -i dgcmodem_i386.deb
You will then be prompted for the root password.

The PIA part is the need for the kernel source package used to build the
kernel.

My STRONG recommendation is to return the "modem" and get a boring,
external serial port device. Then it's just configure a serial port
device to use ppp...
--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering