[ale] Is this really Ubuntu?

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Fri Oct 5 10:09:11 EDT 2007

I had the same sort of bad out-of-box experience with 7.04, which was
disappointing when the last two Ubuntu versions I used (5.10, 6.06)
were painless and really flawless to install.  Especially that
focus-click problem, that will no doubt put off many potential users.
However once I got past the annoying installation problems 7.04 was
really great as an end-user system.  Plus it's easy to find software
you want in its various repos.

My suggestions for alternate distros would be debian or slackware.  I
don't know if either of those give good OOBE, but they're good solid
distros.  You might also want to look at dreamlinux, depending on
where your sweet spot is with respect to convenience versus
configurability.

--
Bj?rn Gustafsson