[ale] Is this really Ubuntu?

David Tomaschik ozone at webgroup.org
Thu Oct 4 21:54:17 EDT 2007

Alexander Barton wrote:
> About every three years I replace my home desktop with the latest and
> greatest.  I've heard wonderful tings about Ubuntu.  This time around
> I though I'd give it a try.  So I installed Ubuntu 7.04 Desktop.  But...
>
> This has got to be alpha software.  I managed to crash the installer a
> handful of times just partitioning the drives with the expert mode
> partitioner.  Hint: don't set a partition type to "dont_use". The
> drop-down box for mount points was empty half the time.  Even the
> dialog buttons were flaky -- they ignored clicks unless one first
> moused out of, then back into the button.  I could go on and on.
>
> Surely I must have downloaded the beta version or something like that.
> Perhaps this is a Microsoft dirty trick?
>
> So, can anyone recommend another distribution?
>
> Thanks,
> Alexander
Ubuntu is, by far, the most polished Linux distribution I have ever
used.  I have never seen problems like those you describe, to be
honest.  You did download 7.04, and not the 7.10 beta CD, right?  In any
case, perhaps you should give openSUSE a try.  I've heard good things
about it as well.  Also PCLinuxOS.

--
David Tomaschik
Moderator, LinuxQuestions.org