[ale] Network link bandwidth metrics

Ashley Wilson awilson at smartfurniture.com
Thu Oct 4 14:39:44 EDT 2007

All:

I have been playing with iperf trying to isolate some bottleneck issues
within our network.  I'm having trouble getting it to work reliably (maybe
my error) and all I really need is a method for determining maximum
available bandwidth at different times of the day between nodes on the LAN.
I'm using MRTG to gather traffic statistics, but I want to know if some
links are underperforming due to crappy copper, interference, etc. and
causing slowdowns at particular times of the day.  I've checked the switch
port stats for CRC errors and there doesn't seem to be a problem there.

Thanks,

-Ash