[ale] kppp

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Wed Oct 3 09:22:26 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 02 October 2007 23:46, Thompson Freeman wrote:
> I haven't setup a modem with Linux in years, as in well before Ubuntu
> got started. I had a devil of a time locating the bits and pieces to
> make a win/soft/modem work. Worse yet, I've got no idea if I can find
> my notes, so I'm running from memory

> _IF_ by some miracle your Uncle has or can get his hands on a true
> hardware modem (probably an external), you probably can make a symlink
> between a serial port and /dev/modem and be good to go.

he has /dev/ttyS0 so are you saying I could try ln -s /dev/ttys0 /dev/modem ?

> Should you be stuck with a software or winmodem, you need to find the
> needed driver software to go with it. Which will be an exercise in
> obscurity unless things have changed for the better over the years. ?
> Memory suggests that there are five or seven possible chip sets in the
> software modems, with different software requirements.

I looked on linmodem.org already... unless you pay $19.95 even if you get the
right driver it won't work above 14.4 , so I'm guessing a new external
hardware modem is the way to go.
I saw a zoom on Amazon that says linux.. V.92 USB Mini Ext Modem  3095F, for
$50.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800