[ale] Help with squid- I think

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Tue Oct 2 00:54:09 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I have installed Dansguardian on a pc.  I stuck it on my network and
have blocked all the DNS able IP addresses at my DSL router.  All the
"normal" PCs in my house have to proxy to the DG box to get any http
action.

Things were fine for a month, or so I thought, I am getting errors
that I think are coming from squid.  (Squid catches the 8080 port and
gives it to Dansguardian to filter)  the message I am getting is;

  "connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx failed,  (111) connection refused,
The remote host or network may be down. Please try your request again."

The problem is rather random.  when I first encountered it I thought
Dans was screwing up and I did a restart.  The browser worked so I
thought that fixed it.  I made a mental note to look at the DG conf
file.  As time went on I discovered I wasn't fixing anything.  The
problem was just intermittent.  Sometimes it would go away sometimes
not.  Then I thought maybe it was Squid.  Same situation.

When I searched on this error I found tips on fixing the Squid conf.
But there is literally nothing configed on in my squid.conf.  There
is one line for the communication port to Dans and one line for
allowing any PC to connect and that is it.  One huge file full of #'s.

All the hits I got searching on "(111) connection refused
dansguardian"  pointed to squid configuration problems.  So I read
the unbelievable amount of text in the squid.conf file. (lots of
comments is a good thing) but the information is too cryptic for me.

Any of you router security gurus understand Squid enough to give me a
clue?

Thanks

Mark