[ale] OpenWRT

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Oct 1 22:12:00 EDT 2007

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On lun, 2007-10-01 at 19:15 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>> I have OpenWRT on a WRT54Gv4 at home, and I recommend it highly.  I run
>> openvpn on it and thus I can rdesktop into a PC at home and even print
>> stuff on my home printer, even though I might be 3000 miles away.  ;-)
>
> This reminds me of mine which is currently sitting up and away.
>
> It won't boot any longer.  And I know that there is some way to force
> the device to load a new firmware and do a complete reset.  It's been
> long enough that I can't remember precisely why it won't boot.
>
> Is there any way, without modifying the hardware, to attach it to my
> network and push a new image to it, and force it to go back to an
> absolutely stock configuration (whether the "stock" configuration is
> OpenWRT or not, really)?

I've had to do this...

The answer depends on whether you enabled boot wait or not. If you did,
you can use tftp to send a new firmware image immediately after you turn
the router on. You'll send the image to the router's default IP, which
may be different than what you had configured the IP to be.

If you didn't enable boot wait, tinkering with the hardware may be
necessary.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Troubleshooting

-Brian