[ale] avoiding word processor style/formatting pain [was: Re: [OT] Organization Ideas]

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Nov 28 14:59:47 EST 2007

On 11/28/2007 02:02:07 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Wed 2007-11-28 13:48:09 -0500, Thompson Freeman wrote:
>
> > getting text into her word processor (Mac Word) such
> that making a
> > small change doesn't screw up the entire formatting job,
>
> With OpenOffice, there are some references to using styles
> that i
> found quite decent at accomplishing what you're doing
> here:
>

> http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0206WG-IntroductionToStyles.pdf
>   http://oooauthors.org/en/authors/userguide2/

Cool! I'm looking into these links as _I_ m tending to use
OOo, and have never gotten a proper hang of styles myself.
Much obliged for the links!

> you can think of using styles in a word processor as akin
> to using CSS
> for your HTML.  Keeping a reasonably clean separation of
> style from
> content allows you to make content changes without
> dragging yourself
> through more formatting pain, and it allows you to
> experiment with
> document-wide style adjustments without tedium.
>
> If she's stuck on Mac OS, NeoOffice is the version of
> OpenOffice that
> runs natively under OS X:
>
>  http://neooffice.org/

Been there.  Her college experience screwed me over on that
one - "We _require_ the use of MS Office". <bastards> I'll
continue to push neooffice tho...

> Sorry i don't have anything to offer in the way of other
> organizing
> suggestions.   i'm a disorganized person myself! :P

Well met brother!! I've been accused of being a random
number generator myself. After nearly thirty years of
computer usage, I'm finally getting some organized habits
with respect to files saved to the system. Without a better
plan - I'll die of old age before I master a system. I'd
sort of like to master file organization well before then
however.