[ale] SATA, iSCSI, and ESX

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Nov 27 10:14:40 EST 2007

FYI:  The EMC Clariion CX3-20c is both Fibre and iSCSI capable and will
allow you to use either fibre or ATA drives (check on the latter - we're
using fibre but all the other Clariions give you a choice).

We use ATA in most of our Clariion arrays (CX700s) and using RAID10 get
very good performance.  However, for critical Production we still use
fibre drives in the one off solutions (data warehouse, mobile) on CX3-20
or CX3-20c and EMC DMX3 for the large Production database (4 TB).   On
the CX700s we have multiple 4 TB copies of the Production database for
various training/test/development purposes and aren't seeing any I/O
issues.

As noted by earlier poster critical factor for large databases is number
of spindles because IOPS is the main consideration for OLTP databases.