[ale] macbook and linux

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Sun Nov 25 12:55:29 EST 2007

I would not characterize Dell as anti-Linux.  The fact that they are
offering Linux boxes at all is positive, and as for the cost aspect, I
suspect it has much more to do with basic economics than being
pro-Windows: you can always charge less and make a lower margin for an
item you expect to sell many more of, and so far Dell's Linux sales,
while increasing, especially on the server side, are still only a small
fraction of what Windows based systems are for them.  Walmart can charge
$200 for a Linux box because they are so much bigger and their shoppers
typically only care about price, whereas Dell shoppers go there for
quality/support, so the Linux business is likely to grow much more
slowly.  The cost of support per sale for Linux may be higher for them
as well due to users not being familiar with the OS and calling for more
basic things (where is the IE icon?).  Before I characterize them as
anti-Linux, I'll wait to see over coming year or two how the
price/hardware performance compares as sales of Linux based systems grows.

Best,
Daniel