[ale] macbook and linux

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Sat Nov 24 21:41:07 EST 2007

James Taylor wrote:
> The specs are not to great compared to what I can pick up for sale at
> similar or better prices from Costco, Office Depot or even
> Microcenter.  You don't pay the microsoft "tax", but you pay more for
> less performance.  It might feel good, but it doesn't make sense
> economically.
>
> It's hard to take Dell seriously about this when they offer the low
> end of each of their lines for not great prices on their non-ms
> boxes.

You're right.  I just priced an Inspiron 1420 with Ubuntu and with
Windows.  Identical systems:

Ubuntu:  $1518
Windows: $1318

And the windows laptop has a 250G drive, whereas the Ubuntu could only
go as large as 160GB.

So you're paying $200 MORE not to get windows, along with the smaller
hard drive.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin