[ale] Weird problem looking at some data capture

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Nov 20 10:03:56 EST 2007

I have a device connected serially to a Meridian PBX trying to capture
CDR data.

>From my END I see nothing but garbage.  The guy I'm working on is
connected to the device via Procomm plus.  He says he can see phone
numbers and data just fine.  I can't and I'm in Linux.

I did an od -a on the capture and I see the following:

0016120   g  sp   d   o   w   n  sp   -   -   ]  cr  nl  cr  cr  cr  nl
0016140   N  sp   0   3   8  sp   0   0  sp   A   0   0   1 nul   0   0
0016160   4  sp   4   2   3   0  sp  sp  sp  sp   1   1   /   2   0  sp
0016200   0   9   :   4   8   :   4   9  sp   0   0   :   0   7   :   3
0016220   4 nul   .   0  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp
0016240  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp
0016260  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  cr  nl  sp   &   3   1   4
0016300   7   8   7   1   8   0   0   X   X   X   X   X   X  sp  sp  sp
0016320  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp

I see some numbers that appear to be a phone number in that file.

When I look at this file in VI I do not see 3147871800  I als grep this
file and come up empty handed there.  What am I doing wrong?