[ale] Strang returned mail

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Sun Nov 18 20:18:04 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 15:55 -0500, Scott Castaline wrote:
> I received this today as Undeliverable Mail for subject and Sender as
> Postmaster. The problem is it does not correspond with anything that I
> sent.

Perhaps it wasn't you that sent it. ;-)  An email's "From:" header is no
true indicator of the sender, and to make matters muddier, email headers
are easily forged.   It would appear that <> (aka MAILER_DAEMON) at
automation.com.cn received some spam proclaiming to have come from you
(hscast at ...), and <> was just, out of courtesy (albeit a major RFC pain
on the Interweb these days), letting you know that your "Great Holiday
Gifts" email to hsc at automation.com.cn couldn't be delivered.

The question you need to ask Comcast is this:  Why on earth do they
accept email from systems (i.e. 211.100.7.7) that have no valid reverse
PTR record, let alone a SPF record to indicate allowed hosts to send
email on behalf of automation.com.cn.

-Jim P.