[ale] [OT] new kind of scam

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Nov 16 20:49:48 EST 2007

Hey Sean,

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 20:32 -0500, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> I am trying to sell a pair of fairly valuable antique chairs
> on Craig's List for an extremely reasonable price.

> I got what follows in the mail this afternoon, and my response
> was "NO!" followed by declaring my willingness to sell _only_
> to those who show up in person and pay cash. I also commented
> that he was asking me to forge a Cashier's check.

> Is there _any_ chance this was a valid offer?

	Doubtful.  Very doubtful.  I don't quite see where the hook is, since
they're not asking you to advance them anything and they'll wait for the
check to clean and they claim they'll use their shippers.

	But...  It just doesn't smell right.  And, yeah, that bit of "printing
a cashiers" check is as hokey as a $3.00 bill.  I would tell them to
save the $50 paper cost and go direct wire transfer or paypal (or cash
in person as you say, but I'm not sure I would want to meet this bunch
in person unless it was in a very public place).  If they can't handle
that, there is "no way Jose".

> Sean

	Mike