[ale] Open source accounting/inventory/pos?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Nov 16 18:03:12 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 17:50 -0500, James P. Kinney III wrote:
Left out some stuff

> Sql-ledger (perl, web), the fork of Sql-ledger called SMB-ledger (perl,
> web), TinyERP (not sure about the POS in that - may take some
> training)(C), BananaPOS(C, gtk), Compiere(java), the fork called
> Adampiere (no Oracle license!)(java), OsCommerce (PHP, web)
>
> Comments on each:
>
> Sql-ledger - I use for my accounting. It works but it requires a solid
> accounting background to really "get it". The POS section is useable but
> not complete. Author is a "challenge" to tolerate. Complaints of
> non-working/broken/security issues on the mailing list will get the
> offending user dropped.

Database: PostgreSQL (Microsoft SQL and runs on winders as an option but
not recommended - duh!)

> SMB-ledger - I have this in testing. It is a fork due to the security
> issues that were not addressed in the parent in a timely manner. Much
> more friendly people and more than just one on the development.

PostgreSQL - uses pgpl and heavy transactions.

> TinyERP - just started tinkering with it. Ships with Fedora. Looks to be
> a solid ERP tool.

MySQL or PostgreSQL. May also work with others. Written in python.

> BananaPOS - Site outdated but the tool is still under production. It is
> quite feature complete. This would work well with Linux thin clients as
> checkout systems. Check this one first.

MySQL only.

> Compiere - Very complete. Java based. Really requires a training session
> to get a grasp of all it can do. Java based. Requires an Oracle license
> to put into production. Java based. The manual is around $125 and very
> well done. Java based. Uses a "web start" client. Java based.

Oracle.

> Adampiere - Forked to ditch Oracle so the code is really free of license
> restrictions. Still java based. I have not used this one as it's been a
> few years since my testing of Compiere and and Adampier had not split
> off yet.

PostgreSQL

> OSCommerce - People either love or hate this one. Easy to use but a
> challenge to tinker with. flexibility based on web application is always
> a plus (no clients to compile and distribute)

MySQL (default) or PostgreSQL (with effort).