[ale] Running IPv6 on home server

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Sun Nov 11 13:10:15 EST 2007

So, being a network engineer who's been hearing more and more
rumblings about "we really should think about IPv6" at the office, I
decided to figure out how difficult it would be to set up my home
network as IPv6-enabled.

Truth was, it was a lot easier than I thought. :) I have a firewall
and a server running Debian Etch, and a handful of Macs running
10.4.x. Both OSes support IPv6 out of the box. I was able to get a
free IPv6 /64 network allocation from Hurricane Electric's
tunnelbroker.net site, followed their instructions to set up the 6-
in-4 tunnel on the firewall, and enable radvd on the firewall to
autoconfigure the hosts. For bonus points, I even enabled v6 DNS
queries, added AAAA and ip6.arpa records to my zone, and configured
resolv.conf on the linux server to use the v6 address of the
nameserver for DNS queries:

admin at placebo:~$ host www.semihuman.com
www.semihuman.com is an alias for tino.semihuman.com.
tino.semihuman.com has address 216.27.162.41
tino.semihuman.com has IPv6 address 2001:470:1f07:44::41
admin at placebo:~$

I've confirmed that coming from a host inside my network, clients that
are IPv6 enabled (Safari, ssh, etc) will use the v6 address to access
tino. Can someone with a v6 address attempt to access http://
[2001:470:1f07:44::41]/gallery and confirm that IPv6 queries get
properly forwarded?

Next question: While trying to get apps that are v6-enabled to speak
v6 instead of v4, I noticed that DNS queries from the clients are
still v4. Since my clients all get their addresses from a DHCP server,
does anyone know if it's possible to configure DHCP to serve v6 domain-
name-servers options? When I put in a v6 address in that field I got a
config syntax error. Or is there a different way to "tell" v6-enabled
clients about v6 DNS resolvers?

I'd be glad to share my experience for others who want to try this as
well! Have any ALE meetings discussed IPv6 at all?

Thanks,

-Chris