[ale] How do you store your passwords?

Nick Ali nali at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 9 16:22:17 EST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 3:11 PM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com> wrote:
> this is like building a new Fort Knox to store my local passwords...
> but seriously is this all command-line STUFF to encrypt/decrypt a file with
> passwords, using your private gpg key?? man gpg doesn't give my much of a
> hint on this..

Decrypting a file: gpg --decrypt foo
Encrypting a file: gpg --encrypt --recipient user at whatever.com bar
(probably also want to delete the unecrypted original as well)

I made a Makefile, where if I type 'make view', I see all my stuff
unencrypted. If I do 'make edit', it decrypts the file, fires up vi, I
edit away, when I exit, the file gets encrypted, and the original is
deleted.

It doesn't take much longer than clicking on an icon and typing in the password.

nick

--

http://boredandblogging.com