[ale] How do you store your passwords?

Nick Ali nali at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 9 10:39:26 EST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 7:09 AM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com> wrote:
> On Thu November 8 2007 10:51 pm, Nick Ali wrote:
> > > I have too many machines, with too many passwords, to keep track of. I'm
> > > looking for thoughts/best practices here. Do you maintain a notebook or
> > > use a program (preferable, yet scary). If you use a program, is any
> > > particular one considered to be best of breed compared to others?
> >
> > USB stick + text file + GPG.
> >

> could you expand a little on that?
> I'm only familiar with GPG for signing emails.. Do you have to have gpg on the
> stick? what if you have the stick in someone else's computer that doesn't
> have GPG?

There is no easy solution for not having GPG installed on the
computer. With different architectures and libraries, carrying around
binaries isn't a realistic option. But I can't remember the last time
I've seen a linux machine without GPG, but yeah, this could be a
problem.

For Windows machines though, you can copy the gpg.exe file and carry
it around with you. Create some bat files to set the homedir relative
to the gpg.exe directory and you are on your way.

nick

--

http://boredandblogging.com