[ale] RE: Latency issues on DSL

List lst at wiencko.net
Fri Nov 9 10:09:26 EST 2007

Yep, its not about you.  Your graph shows the same service profile I've
seen, and the same the SF people now report - they claim the problem
begins in the early evening and gets worse as the evening goes on.  They
say the problem is "intermittent" - which is incorrect, it is actually
TOD dependent.  I've seen the same pattern for about four days now.

My metrics show ping times that peak around 800ms, so your profile is
actually a little bit better than what I've seen.

It seems to have nothing to do with the traffic on the line.  I have
done testing with loaded lines (streaming in, out, and both) and get
essentially the same results as with unloaded lines.  Interestingly, the
problem only seems to affect the download side of the line.  Upload
speeds seem to be about normal, while download speeds drop from (for me)
3Mbps on a good day to around 200Kbps when it is worst.  Uploads remain
pretty constant at around 250Kbps.

Tom