[ale] Latency on my DSL line

Alex LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 13:00:31 EST 2007

On Nov 7, 2007 10:17 PM, James P. Kinney III
<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 21:15 -0500, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
>

> > So far I have had no troubles with Speakeasy.net.  Every time I have
> > called for tech support I have gotten someone who is technically savvy,
> > understands standard commands, and is willing and able to
> > do what it takes to fix the problem if he can without having to get
> > permission from someone further along the food chain.  Hate to sound
> > snarky, but Speakeasy's techs all speak English as a first language.
> > Their service has been like Mindspring's was 15 years ago, before
> > Earthlink bought them out and the service went to Bangalore and then
> > to Manila.
> >
> > Sean
>
> I sent a hearty second for Speakeasy as well. They now have a 15Mbps
> speed with 1Mbps up. I can't get the 15 but I can get the 10 at my
> place. Upgrading tomorrow.
>
> In 3+ years with speakeasy the outages have been nearly non-existant. Of
> the 3 I have had, 1 was a faulty connection at the pole after a storm
> (BellSouth problem), one was a blown-up router in their Atlanta NOC
> (They actually CALLED me to let me know of the failure and a time
> estimate for returned service - they beat the time estimate by 50%), the
> third time was a service outage caused by a BellSouth POTS head who
> disconnected my Naked-DSL line since it didn't have dial tone.

I'll throw in a "me too" for Speakeasy... after a lightning strike
fried my modem, they were able to send a replacement at no charge in
exchange for re-upping for a 1-year contract. Speakeasy has been far
more reliable even than Georgia Power in our area.

We were down with that router blow-up, but other than that I can't
recall an outage. All the techs I've dealt with have been conversant
in Linux. One was able to say "as root, just use ifconfig eth0 with
the IP address to change your IP when you plug straight into the
modem, then change the default route to point to the router".

-Alex