[ale] Seagate's DB35 DVR drives don't work with PCs

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Wed Nov 7 23:01:20 EST 2007

Hey, this is more of a heads-up and a bit of a "WTF?" than an actual
question:

newegg.com has an OEM Seagate DB35 series 32G drive in stock for $70
each. These are drives that are supposedly "designed for DVRs"
according to the product page.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148287

What the page (or seagate's own product page) doesn't tell you is that
these drives do not appear to work at all in standard PCs. In my case,
the BIOS recognized the drive, but it never became available to the
Linux kernel. Looking at the product reviews on the page I'm not the
only one who's run into this.

Which brings the question: what is so different about these drives
that they work in DVRs but not in PCs? From what I've found via google
one feature of these drives is that they spin up slower than other
drives, avoiding a large power draw at startup. Could this be causing
an issue?

Anyone have any more insight into this?

-C