[ale] OT: Interesting TCP/IP windows MSG service and Comcast blasting.

H. A. Story adrin at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 2 21:52:15 EDT 2007

In light of the recent Comcast in the news screwing with bit torrnets, I
can't help but wonder, and not sure where to stand on this with their
port blocking and such. Sometimes I am against it and sometimes I think
it is needed for the clueless.

I was just helping a friend with pop ups on a old Windows 2000 machine.
Turns out they are on a WAN IP, which is the setup I have seen with
cable companies so often.  After working on it and then deciding to turn
off the service, I realized that the pop up message could have been
across the WAN and not on the machine itself. So that leads me to think
that the msg service port is not blocked.   I just think it is crazy to
go out of your way to block or slowdown web hosting, ftp and Bit
Torrents and not do the same to the windows services that shouldn't be
running across the net.   So my friend is  off to find something that
can act as a firewall.

Now if I am at home setting here and playing with commands and do a net
send * "This is a message." I wonder if that gets routed out of my
firewall/gateway and onto the Internet or if is only valid on a subnet?
hum...

Adrin